Monday, September 24, 2012

A Room with a View

I have to say that watching A Room with a View was a little dry in my opinion. I kept waiting for things to pickup a little bit and then it did not. Even though the film won an Oscar for the writing, I thought a great cast of actors/actresses had little to work with in certain scenes which caused me to be detached to the emotion and feelings towards the charaters that the film was trying to get me to feel. I just never really got the point where I cared what happened to Lucy Honeychurch (played by a young Helena Bonham Carter). I was pleased with a couple surprise performances in minor roles by Denholm Elliott (Mr. Emerson) and Simon Callow (Rev Beebe), it was the luke warm performances of Helena Bonham Carter and especially Julian Sands that brought the film down a little and since they were the main characters, it just couldnt get me 100% invested into the film. I thought the cinematography (Tony Pierce-Roberts), the set direction and art direction were excellent but overall a so-so film in my opinion.  For a same type of a film I would recommend Martin Scorsese's The Age of Innocence, for me anyway I feel it is a better film than A Room with a View.

1 comment:

  1. I had a hard time getting through this movie. I think it is a consequence that it is based on an E.M. Forster novel. I have tried several times to get through any of his novels and they are all the same: bland, over long, and seemingly pointless. This was a horrible novel to try to base a movie on.

    ReplyDelete