Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No Really, I am Serious, Put Me In

I do a lot of joking about the fact that I should be put into professional/college games from time to time. But let's look back at my credentials. I played exactly one high school sport. Golf. Could I have played college golf, yes, but I decided to go to UNL and I could not have made that team... and lets face it, they are not exactly a dominant program. But I could have played DII golf had I wanted to. The rest of the sports are a different story. I played football in junior high, but I was 5'2" then and slow. There is no place for a slow tiny kid on the football field. I played basketball in junior high as well but did not make my high school team. Shocking a 5'2" kid missed out there as well. (I will caveat that by saying that I made the JV team and would have ended up on the team but my heart was not in it so I quit)

What about baseball? I played for years and years and the two things I took from it is that I was a really good pitcher and a terrible hitter. I could throw a mean hook and I could not hit one to save my life. I gave it up because I was a scratch golfer and they were both spring sports. I had a -1 handicap in golf and that is better than an above average curveball and a much much below average fastball especially in high school when you need to hit as well as pitch.

So there are tons of times when I kid around and say that me and 4 of my friends could go out and beat the Maine basketball team. I know for a fact that we would get dominated. Yet I think it is funny to say when the 'Cuse is struggling against a team it should dominate.

But that being said, I would stake a month of TV watching (and if you know me this is a big bet) on the fact that I would fare better than Ryan Franklin on the mound in the same number of innings he has pitched. Now sure, after a while I would regress towards the mean, but I have some serious advantages he does not. One, I believe I can throw a fastball about 59 MPH. Who is going to see that coming? And I can easily vary the speeds of my fastball. I can certainly toss one up there at about 50 MPH. FYI for those keeping track at home, batting practice pitchers throw about 70-78 MPH, and remember when they tried to screw up McGwire by throwing lob balls up there and it worked? I can do that with some actual late movement on the ball. Two, I can toss a wicked circle change at about 46 MPH. Try squaring up a pitch more than 40 MPH below anything you see in live action AND with a solid 15 MPH difference between that and the fastball. UNHITTABLE! Oh and it does not matter what your bat speed is, it will be tough to turn a 46 MPH change up into a homer. Three, I can actually still throw a 12-6 curve ball (kicked my nephew's ass with this last xmas). My curve looks like Darryl Kile with all the movement, just in super-slow motion. So I would have 3 pitches that would easily unnerve the best MLB hitters out there. If you are keeping track at home that is 3 more pitches than Ryan Franklin has right now.

Look, I will take the league minimum to test my theory. No problem there. But as is apparent, we need all of us to bring our 30-something asses out from retirement and start dominating hitters with our wicked, super slow stuff for the Cardinals relief staff to stand a chance this year. I believe we are on pace for 40 blown saves! This has to change. And it starts with removing Franklin, but I am not impressed with the rest of the staff, so:

"Put me in coach, I'm ready to play... today."

1 comment:

  1. Hell if you are going to get the league minimum to lob slow balls then I'm fairly certain I could be your bullpen catcher. I've caught a few beer league softball games so I know what it takes. Besides Yadi and Laird aren't going to want to waste innings catching balls that I could catch.
    Aside from Franklin and more recently Miller, I think the bullpen has some talent. Salas,Boggs and now this Eduardo Sanchez have been pretty good. Sanchez especially. His swing and miss rate was nearly 50% before last night. Franklin's? 9%. I think Boggs has what it takes to take over for franklin. Give him some more time to come into his own and there is some real potential there.
    Franklin is at the point now where he needs to go to memphis and figure it out. Its getting embarrassing, for the fans and for Franklin himself.

    ReplyDelete