Thursday, May 5, 2011

Defensive Post

I am waiting on Noel to make some posts that have nothing to do with the Cardinals, but I figure Joe and I can take over the blog for a while until those cubbies decide to make some noise. Well, besides Soriano and Zambrano that is. So get to work Noel! Or at least fill us in on some Husker news.

So the Cardinals offense is clicking on cylinders we have not seen in many many years as was pointed out in the previous post. I would like to think it is the best offense since Ray Lankford was roaming the outfield, but he was my second favorite Cardinal of all time and I know that I glorify him in my head. Anyway, the offense is leading the Birds on Bat to a nice 1.5 game lead on the Mr. Reds early in this young season, a pretty solid feat especially after the polar opposite starts the two teams had ten games into the year.

Now I am going to leave a discussion of the pitching staff to another day (not that we have not touched on it already), today is all about defense. And we just flat out stink. I will not go into super deep statistics tonight since I have a final to give in about 8 hours, but lets look at some very interesting stats that cannot be ignored:

Cardinals record when they commit an error 3-12
Cardinals record when not committing an error 15-2

Talk about an error that cost the team. 
Those stats are amazing to me. The Cards have the most errors in the league at 28. Ryan Theriot has had a league leading 8 errors on the season and has a .938 fielding percentage. Imagine how many he would have if he would have played in the 3 games he sat out!(statistics class tells me he would have 9, but you get my point) I realize that he is hitting the ball well, but I have no clue how he has a WAR of +0.4 at this point. I will grant you that I have no clue how WAR is calculated, but when you have a team that is 3-12 when committing a error and you personally have 8 errors, the eye test says that your WAR is way worse than +0.4.

Off to bed since I have to give a final at 8am. Oh, and I had two students OVERSLEEP the final I gave today... at 1pm! Could someone please explain to me how you oversleep a 1pm final? I have had several beers and a couple cinco de mayo margaritas and I will not oversleep the 8am final tomorrow, let alone a 1pm final. Oh well, I will see those kids in the spring!

1 comment:

  1. You had to mention the elephant in the room didn't you.
    The win loss difference with and without errors is absolutely crazy. Its not like every error cost them a game, especially when you take in to account that our pitching probably pitched around most of them. Just goes to show how mental the game is.
    Speaking of which, Lohse looked pretty good today going 8 but better yet how about Jaime retiring the first 22 or so batters he faced last night then completed the shutout with 2 hits and 8 Ks.
    Keith you wrote that post last night and didn't mention that! I applaud you for having the discipline to maintain your "Defensive" post.

    ReplyDelete