Friday, June 1, 2012

Fearless

Bruce has been pretty busy lately so I will talk a little about Fearless and then he can chime in his thoughts when he gets a chance. I want to say I did like Fearless, I didnt find it to be a film that I loved but I did like it. Most importantly its a film that made me think about it days after I watched it and I always like that!  It was interesting to me to see the two main characters (Bridges and Perez) go two different ways in how they handled the aftermath of the crash yet they found a common bond between each other. I thought Jeff Bridges did a fantastic job playing Max, a man who seemed to have lots of fears now has none.It seemed as if Max was almost liberated in the way he used to be. I think everyone needs to find a happy middle ground on the way he became, dont let your fears control you but also embrace those friends and family around you.  To me the film represented how we can take life for granted and how "the daily grind" can become our way of life and that each moment we have on this earth to experience the great things of life and all the wonderful friends and family that we have, you just never know when your time is up. Peter Weir is an excellent director and if you all get the chance you should check out some of his other works which include Dead Poets Society, Witness, The Truman Show, and Master and Commander: The Far Side fo the World

6 comments:

  1. So I will say that I found Max annoying. He may have been in a plane crash, but that doesn't give you free reign to crash cars into wall at high speeds even if you are trying to prove that Carla couldn't have saved her baby.

    I am now surprised about the tone of this movie after seeing the list of others that Weir did. I like every other one much better than Fearless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Fearless was suggested as the movie I went to look it up and did not remember having ever watched it, but I did rate it 3 out of 5 stars. So it did not have a lasting impact on me.

    Watching it a second time made me realize that the subject matter was interesting, but none of the characters stuck with me. I think the major flaw I had was that I just did not care about anyone outside of Max and Carla. And that is too bad cause I really enjoy Isabella Rosallini, but did not have much invested in her marriage. Sadly they missed the boat with me there.

    I like how on the IMDB page that they have "People who liked this also liked..." and one of the movies is Magnolia. I despise that movie and if anyone chooses that pretentious crap I am skipping that month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I was gonna pick Magnolia!! LOL!!

      Delete
    2. Funny. I really liked Magnolia...but we drank every time they cussed. So by the end I thought it had this deep meaning and it totally made sense to me...I watched it sober and didn't have the same reaction.;-)

      Delete
  3. I will say that fearless wasn't one of my favorite movie's, but it did have an interesting plot. I think Max went a little overboard with his "I survived a plane crash" attitude, and his family paid for it. I just know that a life changing experience like that would not make me want to treat my family badly. It would bring us closer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the idea that you can't let fear prevent you from experiencing life. I’d say the general plot of the story was interesting, but I thought the movie was really dry and could have been made better.
    Did they have any music in this movie other than when he was singing while driving in the dessert? I felt like it was a very quiet movie and they could have sparked more emotion/interest if they just added something to fill in the silence.
    P.S. Bruce, you own me 2 hrs of my life back.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete