Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Evening with Kevin Smith plus Red State

Sunday I am headed to Boston to watch an early screening of Kevin Smith's new movie Red State (release date October 19th). There are a few things to notice from the trailer. One, Smith is known for all sorts of witty dialog in his movies and the trailer has absolutely none, just some ramblings of a preacher. And two, this is certainly NOT a typical Kevin Smith movie. While comic actors John Goodman, Stephen Root and Ralph Garman (who was freaking fantastic as the host of The Joe Schmo Show) are in the movie, it is certainly not a full on fart and penis comedy, this is a horror thriller! I even hear that Garmin does not even have a line in the movie, but still has plenty of screen time... I wonder how that is pulled off. Do I think this will be some groundbreaking movie of our times, no. But I do expect to be entertained and look forward to seeing a new side to Smith.

I am an unabashed big fan of Smith since watching Clerks about 60 times my Senior year of High School. Since then I have enjoyed all of his films and listen weekly to a couple of this podcasts (Jay and Silent Bob Get Old and Smodcast). And now look forward to seeing what he can do outside his cushy element. Plus, I love me some horror movies. After the show there is a live Q&A with Smith and I suspect at least one of his other regular cronies (Jason Mewes, Scott Mosier aka Snowball from Clerks, Malcolm Ingram or Jeff Anderson). From watching An Evening With Kevin Smith I am quite sure this will be an entertaining evening of events. I will be back to give my opinions and impressions from MY evening with Kevin Smith

1 comment:

  1. Im Jealous! Sounds like a good time. I haven't heard of this movie but im interested to read your review on it as I am quite the horror connoisseur myself. A Kevin Smith horror movie is almost a walking contradiction.

    ReplyDelete