Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Boxing Resolution

As many of my friends know, I have a rich history of watching boxing (I cried when Buster Douglas beat Tyson). But boxing has really disappointed me of late. Due to the lack of exciting personalities, horrible PPV choices and aging stars, I have been lapse in watching many fights. I have made a resolution to watch every fight HBO offers for one entire year. I will also watch at least one Friday Night Fights on ESPN each month. By the end of this year I hope to find my new favorite fighter (my current favorite Ricky Hatton seems content to be retired), be able to pick out my top 5 fights of the year, and fall back in love with boxing again. However, worse case scenario, I swear off boxing for good.

I will be blogging about the best fights I see and let you know what is worth seeing. Tonights matchups are between Mike Jones... WHO? and Soto Karass and a main event Bantamweight bout between Nonito Donaire (25-1, 17KOs) and Fernando Montiel (43-2-2, 33KOs) I expect some fireworks tonight! And if you do not get my Mike Jones joke, then check this out. He also gave out his real phone number in a song 281-330-8004 (Houston TX area code), what a nut.

3 comments:

  1. How were the fights? I didnt get a chance to watch them. I recently saw a documentary on Joe Louis and wish boxing could become as important today as it was then but i know those days are long gone. Hopefully boxing can make some sort of a comeback

    ReplyDelete
  2. so crazy this came up because for my history class im currently taking we had to write a paper on anyone of historical significance and i chose the brown bomber! What odds? I do love boxing but it looks like MMA is quickly taking its place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first fight Jones vs Karass had a big headbutt early in the fight that pretty much changed the nature of the fight. It was a good fight that ended in a unanimous decision. Oh, and one key element... I agreed with the decision and I did not think the announcers got too "one sided" while they called the fight, which they are apt to do.

    The second fight ended in an early, very impressive knock out. Although, I am going to give away the winner, I take that fight with a grain of salt. Donaier is training with Victor Conte. Yeah, that Victor Conte of BALCO fame. I think they should keep everyone's blood so they can retroactively test people once "new" designer steroids are found and tested for in the future.

    And Joe, I know that the MMA has overtaken boxing, but I cannot stand the MMA. I will stick with the sweet science.

    ReplyDelete